Hello, everybody.

In last post, I told you that I had set up an automated daily job to merge any changes from master into a C++11 branch. Here are some initial results.

During last month, I merged 14 pull requests to master, ranging from as little as 2 lines in 1 file to as much as around a thousand lines across more than 20 files. Here are a plot of the lines and files touched by each one, with the ones that merged cleanly marked by a blue dot and the ones that didn’t marked by an orange cross.

Merge results

So far, it seems encouraging. The failures are few, and as far as I recall none of them required more than a few minutes to fix the conflicts. I’ll keep doing this until the next release (at some point in September, I guess) but it the trend continues, I think I’ll keep the branch and the daily job alive while I start applying more modernizations.

Subscribe to my Substack to receive my posts in your inbox, or follow me on Twitter or LinkedIn if you want to be notified of new posts, or subscribe via RSS if you’re the tech type: the buttons for all that are in the footer. Also, I’m available for training, both online and (when possible) on-site: visit my Training page for more information.